GMDSS Restricted Operator’s Certificate (ROC)
The GMDSS ROC certificate is the reduced content GMDSS certification and is suitable for Masters, Merchant Navy deck officers, commercial yachtmasters and other shipboard personnel who perform radiocommunication duties.
Holders of the GMDSS ROC are certified to operate the radio installation on board SOLAS vessels sailing exclusively within the GMDSS sea area A1 (the range of VHF coast stations).
The course syllabus and examination have been harmonized with the standards provided by the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT). That is why certificates are recognized by all CEPT countries which have adopted ERC/DEC/(99)/01.
The CEPT members
The course is delivered by a highly qualified team of instructors and examiners, approved by the Association of Maritime and Electronic Radio Colleges (AMERC) on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). It provides theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary to obtain the GMDSS ROC certificate issued by the MCA, in accordance with the international standards STCW 95 A-IV/2 and with the CEPT standards.
The course lasts 4 days, including the examination on site.
In order to obtain the STCW endorsement candidates must submit:
- Two passport photographs (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm)
- Medical Fitness Certificate (ENG 1 or MCA accepted equivalent)
- STCW A-VI / 1-1 Personal Survival Techniques (and refresh if ˃ 5 years old)
- STCW A-VI / 1-2 Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (and refresh if ˃ 5 years old)
- STCW A-VI / 1-3 Elementary First Aid
- STCW A-VI / 1-4 Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR)
Candidates must be 18 years of age or over. There is no nationality requirement.
Knowledge of the basic features of the maritime mobile service
- The GMDSS system
- GMDSS Sea areas
- GMDSS channels and frequencies
- Modulation and classes of emission
- Different propagation mechanisms
Practical skills to use a ship station:
- VHF DSC
- AIS SART
- GMDSS VHF portable radio
- Antennas and batteries
- DISTRESS, URGENCY, SAFETY and ROUTINE communications for DSC and RT
- Search and Rescue Communications (SAR)
- Maritime Safety Information (MSI)
- ITU Radio Regulation
- ALRS and ITU publications
- GMDSS Radio Log Book
- Voyage planning
The examination takes place the last day of the course.
There are three components to the exam:
- GMDSS GENERAL KNOWLEDGE (SOLAS & RADIO REGULATIONS)
General Knowledge paper consists of two written questions and 12 multiple choice questions
- RADIOTELEPHONY EXAMINATION
Radiotelephony Communications Examination of simulated operating procedures in respect of SOLAS
- (OPT) OPERATIONAL PERFORMANCE TEST
Operational Performance Test on the approved range of GMDSS equipment comprising, DSC VHF Equipment, VHF Transceiver, Navtex Receiver, EPIRB, SART, AIS SART and use of documents
Please contact us for more information on the GMDSS ROC course